About the Friends
The Mission of the Friends of Pennington Library is to maintain an association of people interested in the Pennington Public Library, to focus public attention in a positive manner on the Library services, facilities and needs, to promote use and enjoyment of the Library, to raise and spend money on behalf of the Library, and to otherwise further the interests of the Library.
Donations to the Library from the community allow us to increase purchases and to provide expanded programs and services beyond the generous budget from the Borough of Pennington. Funds are raised through an annual appeal as well as from special events and sales of gifts. The Friends produce Cover to Cover, an annual newsletter that is sent to the community.
Through generous contributions from the community, the Friends have been able to provide funding for the following:
- Welcome Bags for new families in Pennington that include coupons, gifts and information about local businesses and non-profit organizations
- Booker, the book bike, that serves as a travelling Library and makes appearances at events around the Borough such as Pennington Day, the Memorial Day Parade and the Holiday Walk
- Expansion in all areas of the Library, including children’s and adult’s books and reference materials and the purchase of many popular mini-series’ DVDs
- The Swapping Spinner at the Library and the Little Library at Kunkle Park that provide places for donated books to be traded for free
- The refreshment corner at the Library that welcomes patrons with coffee, tea, and hot chocolate for a token donation
- Extensive adult programming offering free films, lectures and virtual programs
- Youth programs, including the Summer Reading Programs and special events
- “Busy Town”, a Street Fair in the Spring, based on the popular Richard Scarry book that invites our youngest children to meet our busy shopkeepers and municipal volunteers and employees
- Help with the NEA Big Read, a national book celebration that unites many people and organizations in town to read together and participate in book discussions and related activities
The Friends of Pennington Library meet on a monthly basis. If you would like more information about the Friends and how to become a member, ask at the circulation desk. We are always grateful for new volunteers.
2023 Friends of Pennington Library
- Ellie Driscoll and Debbie Gwazda, Co-Presidents
- Kristin Rokes, Vice-President, Tresurer
- Holly Weise, Secretary
- Nell Haughton
- KellyAnn O’Neil
- Tim O’Neill
- Julie Wallace
- Amy Sullivan, Board of Trustees Representative